The Round Table Review

The Student News Site of John Champe High School

The Round Table Review

The Round Table Review

Should John Champe Add More School Dances?

John Champe High School has two school dances, Homecoming and Prom. Homecoming is for all grade levels and Prom is just for juniors and seniors. However, so many neighboring high schools, and high schools across the country, have many more dances during the school year. 

High school dances are part of what makes going to high school an enjoyable experience.

Students get so excited planning and preparing their plans and outfits for these dances, that it takes away the stress that goes along with

school. A Sadie Hawkins Dance is a famously known dance where girls are supposed to ask the guys. It’s very well known in southern and western states, but not so much on the East coast. Typically girls wear sundresses or more casual dresses and cowboy boots or sneakers. Boys usually wear jeans and a polo or collared shirt. Another well known dance is The Black and White Formal. The Black and White Formal is just like Homecoming where students wear formal mini dresses and suits, although they can only wear black or white. This dance is a lot more popular throughout the U.S. and is usually held around the Winter months. 

“I moved from Texas, where school dances were a big thing and we had a lot,” senior Ali Guo said. “I wish that John Champe had a Sadie Hawkins or another dance in the winter.”

Paul VI Catholic High School, a neighboring high school to John Champe, had a “Black and White Affair” for juniors and seniors in the beginning of February. The dance was held at the Chantilly National Country Club at 8pm on a Saturday night, and according to the Paul VI class of 2025 page, a lot of students attended. 

“I would definitely have gone to a winter formal,” senior Nate Currier said. “Having only Prom left, I would have rather had another dance to attend before graduating.”

Juniors at the John Champe Prom in 2023. Photo Courtesy of Carson Munchel.

Whether having an upperclassmen only dance or not, Champe students would probably attend a winter formal because it’s an excuse for students to hang out and get dressed up. Teenagers in this area usually hang out at nearby restaurants or parks because there aren’t many places to go in Stone Ridge. School dances give an outlet to students who can’t drive or don’t have the opportunity to attend large social gatherings outside of school. 

“Oh my goodness! I have been wanting one forever,” Sophomore, Maddie Malloy said. “I am so jealous of the PVI kids who get to have a black and white formal in the Winter.” 

Independence High School announced that next year they would include a winter formal or some kind, and so has Lightridge High School. The dances are either planned by the SCA or Class Council. With the pressure of other high schools adding other dances to their calendar, John Champe may be inclined to do so as well. The idea seems to be very popular with students, and there doesn’t appear to be an issue with allowing another dance. If the dance was held at a venue, funding would be required; however, the dance could also be held at the school like Homecoming. 

HS students celebrate Valentine’s Day with Sadie Hawkins Dance. Photo Courtesy of The Woodlands Christian Academy.

“I genuinely believe that Champe should add another dance,” Currier said. “ It would probably make a lot of students really happy because they will have more events to go to.”