The Round Table Review

The Student News Site of John Champe High School

The Round Table Review

The Round Table Review

One Last Hoorah for Champe Seniors

At John Champe High School, seniors every year participate in senior assassin. Senior assassin is a game run by students that gives seniors the opportunity to do one last class activity. 

It is a very popular event that most seniors participate in and enjoy playing. John Champe is one of many high schools that participate in a senior assassin game. The game consists of being assigned a target, students must get their targets out of the game by spraying them with a water gun. The targets can wear floaties, goggles, or swim gear to be considered safe; keeping their assassins from getting them out. Usually there is a pot of money that is being played for, this year each participant was required to pay a ten dollar fee to enter the game. The total prize pot is to be determined because the game hasn’t started yet, but it’s usually around three-hundred to six-hundred dollars.

The rules posted by Thi Tran, senior assassin coordinator. Courtesy of @champeassassin24 on instagram.

“The game is usually run by seniors,” senior Thi Tran says. “It was very confusing though trying to figure it out, so the class council decided to step in.”

A lot of Champe seniors are eager to play the game, especially since other schools like Lightridge, Independence, and Freedom have already started their game. 

“A lot of other schools have already started their senior assassin games.” Tran said. “So, hopefully we can start soon too!”

A reason some seniors don’t participate in the game is because of the location requirement. To enter the game, students are required to join a Snapchat group chat or another platform chat. This is so everyone in the game can see each others’ locations. Everyone is also required to be active on Snapchat every two hours to keep an updated location. Having the ability to see everyone’s location gives participants an opportunity to track their targets and stake out their next attacks. 

“Personally, the location thing doesn’t bother me,” senior Ali Guo says, “because everyone has theirs on in order to play.”

As of right now, the game is supposed to start on May 6th. The date does keep changing, however, due to complaints. Students don’t want to be playing the game once school gets out on June 7th. 

“I think that the game should start earlier because a bunch of people are probably going on vacation,” Guo said. “I would’ve rather started it in April, like Lightridge High School.”

Tala Barghouty attempts to get out Casey Palmisano. Photo courtesy of Tala Barghouty.

During the game, there is also one allotted ‘purge’ day. The ‘purge’ day is a day that makes all participants remove their safe gear (like goggles or floaties) in order to help eliminate people faster. The game consists of different rounds, so after each round participants are assigned new targets. Something new that seniors are implementing this year, is the opportunity to play the game as a team. Meaning both members of a team would each get a different target, however if one member of the team gets out, both are eliminated. 

“My partner and I are still trying to figure out our game plan.” senior Francis Kwon said. “It’s definitely going to be a lot of fun to play one last game with all of our class though.”

Overall, the game is a lot of fun and Champe seniors really enjoy participating.

in it. The money is obviously a large incentive for students to join, but the general gist of the game is something that students particularly enjoy. 

“I can’t wait to start,” Kwon said. “I definitely think my team will win!”

Francis Kwon gets Layan Nasef out. Photo courtesy of Francis Kwon