The Round Table Review

The Student News Site of John Champe High School

The Round Table Review

The Round Table Review

France Becomes First Country to Make Abortion a Constitutional Right

Photo Courtesy of CBS News

On Monday, March 4th. France became the first country to make abortion a constitutional right. France’s Parliament voted 780-72 to pass the amendment to solidify their abortion rights in their constitution. This was done in response to the U.S. overturning Roe v. Wade; the amendment states that it ensures “…the freedom of women to have recourse to an abortion, which is guaranteed.”

France’s Eiffel Tower lit with the words “My body my choice” following the vote | Photo Courtesy of CNN

“While I believe that this is a great achievement to all women, I believe that this should’ve been done many years ago,” Academies of Loudoun junior Brie Bruetsch said. “Many women have had to suffer through illegal abortions in the past thats caused so much pain.”

France’s Prime Minister, Gabriel Attal, stated before the vote that lawmakers have a “moral debt” to pay to those who have had to endure illegal abortions in the past. Abortion was made illegal in France in 1923, and legalized again in 1975. Following the vote, the Eiffel Tower lit up with the words “My body my choice”.

“I think that France making abortion a constitutional right will help influence other countries to do the same,” Bruetsch said. “I believe that we will see many other European countries following in France’s footsteps in the future.”