The Round Table Review

The Student News Site of John Champe High School

The Round Table Review

The Round Table Review

Greece Becomes First Orthodox Christian Country to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

Photo Courtesy of aljazeera.com

Just this past week Greece became the first Orthodox country to legalize same-sex marriage. Following this decision many individuals of the Orthodox church have expressed a deep discomfort and anger over this decision. Rallies in Athens were held in protest to this change; Greek as a society seems split on the issue.

Rallies in Athens opposing same-sex marriage | Photo Courtesy of New York Times

“I thought it was great that they were willing to change their ways and allow same-sex couples to be happy together,” junior Leana Chen said. “I think it has a major impact in history because oftentimes the more religious someone is the less they’re willing to change their mindset…”

Several other countries, such as Romania and Bulgaria, have had incredibly strict views on the topic of same-sex marriage. Romania, for example, doesn’t allow same-sex marriage or civil unions, and, in fact, doesn’t allow same-sex couples to claim residency in the country with very few exceptions.

“I think it will set a precedent for other countries [such as Bulgaria, and Romania],” Chen said. “It’s certainly a big example for other [countries] to potentially follow and consider for themselves.”