The Round Table Review

The Student News Site of John Champe High School

The Round Table Review

The Round Table Review

U.S. Announces Humanitarian Assistance to the People of Palestine

President Biden announcing the plan to send 100M dollars in humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza | Photo Courtesy of NBC News

On October 18th, 2023 President Biden announced that the U.S. will be providing 100 million dollars in aid to the people of Palestine in humanitarian assistance in Gaza and the West Bank. This money would support over a million displaced people who are in desperate need of food, medical supplies, water, and more. The White House made a statement saying that the citizens of Palestine are not at fault for this tragedy and that they should not be taking the brute of this disaster.

People protest to free Palestine in Washington DC | Photo Courtesy of The Times of Israel

“I feel like the White House is generous for the money given,” junior Ella Vandergrift said. “I’m glad they stated that they were going to work ‘as closely as possible with partners in the region’ to help the victims and displaced people of the war”

According to pbs.org, since the Hamas attack on October 7th, 2023, Biden has been attempting to contain the conflict between Israel and Hamas alone, for they’re making an effort to not let this become a regional war.

“I think that America’s level of involvement when it comes to global crises and issues could be better,” Vandergrift said. “We have the resources and ability to help, but I do feel that we could become more directly involved when dealing with things like this.”

The White House’s statement ends off explaining that they are going to continue to work as closely as possible with partners in the region to put emphasis on the importance of supporting those who are attempting to get safety, facilitate access to food, water, medical care, shelter, and more. Our thoughts and prayers are with the citizens, children, and elders who are being impacted by these tragedies.